This appointment can take 3-4 hours.
- No food or fluid for 4 hours before the test.
- No caffeine for 24 hours before the test. This includes, coffee, tea, pop drinks, energy drinks, chocolate, Tylenol #1, #2 and #3. No decaffeinated drinks.
- Bring something to eat and drink with you. There is a fridge for storage. Eating after injection of radiotrace improves the images.
- No oral or topical nitrates on the day of the test.
- Beta-blockers and calcium blocker may be stopped 48 hours before the test. Check with the Doctor who ordered the test.
- You will have an intravenous injection of radioactive tracer and a heart scan 40-60 minutes later.
- An intravenous line will then be inserted after the first heart scan.
- You will then exercise on a treadmill and one minute before the end of exercise a second dose of radioactive tracer is injected.
- The final scan is perfomed 40-60 minutes later.